One avenue to a four-year college degree is to consider applying to one the academies. It is important to research and begin the application process during the junior year of high school. However, academic preparation should begin starting in the freshman year.
A few thoughts regarding military academies:
• The education attained is a first rate, four-year degree from a well-respected college, paid for with a full tuition scholarship.
• Entrance to one of the service academies requires significant commitment, carrying a military obligation in the respective service.
• Classes, majors, sports and activities can be similar to public or private college experiences, but there is a distinct military orientation to the undergraduate experience.
• Academic preparation should begin early in a student's high school career. Application process should start during the junior year.
• Some of the academies will require a nomination, primarily by a Congressman. Most members of Congress will not process requests after October of the senior year. Qualifications include not only academics, but also physical and medical qualifications.
• To contact your Representative or Senator go to the sites below and enter your state of residence.
U.S. House of Representatives www.house.gov/writerep
U.S. Senate www.senate.gov
To obtain a list of local representatives please contact the Staley High School Student Support Center.